Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Background Story

Out for my morning walk on August 22, I found three abandoned puppies lying in the street. Unable to just leave them in the street, I brought them home.

Baby, Brownie and Big Boy, about 2 weeks old


My initial thought was to bring them home, then drop them off at the Animal Defense League, where I am a volunteer.  When I got home, I realized that they didn't have their eyes open yet.  When I found them, I thought that was just because they were sleeping! Unfortunately, the Defense League won't take animals that young. I tried the other shelters in town, but none would take them.  The city-run shelter was the most helpful.  They asked if I would be willing to foster them until they are weaned.  They were eager to help us foster and provided us with food, a crate and veterinary care.

After spending the first two days figuring out how to take care of them, trying to find a shelter that would take them and trying to take care of their terrible flea and tick infestation, I was exhausted and frustrated. But I figured things out and accepted my role as caretaker, so I've got the routine down now.  Bottle feedings every four hours, daily sponge baths, periodic replacement of the paper in their box and frequent cuddles.


Baby (female - 1 pound, 5 ounces)


Big Boy (male, 2 pounds, 2 ounces)



Brownie (female, 1 pound, 8 ounces)

No comments:

Post a Comment